Tips for the Bride Who Is Planning Her Own Wedding
Even though it’s incredibly exciting to plan your own wedding, there is a lot of time and effort that goes into bringing your dream day to life. If you’ve decided against hiring a wedding planner and will be running the show yourself, there are a few things that you can do to make this process less stressful and more enjoyable.
Wedding planning tips for the DIY bride
- Start with a budget and stick to it. It’s so easy for small costs to creep in as you plan your wedding, which often leads to a lot of debt when it’s all done. To avoid any post-wedding stress, it’s incredibly important that you create a budget right at the beginning and stick to it too.
- List your priorities. Lists are going to be your best friend as you plan your wedding. Spend an afternoon creating a spreadsheet that outlines everything you need to get done before your big day. Next, spend time prioritizing those tasks so that you know what needs to be tackled each month. By staying organized and arranging everything well in advance, you can save yourself a lot of stress and tears.
- Create a vision board. When you’re planning a wedding, it’s super easy to get carried away with all the great ideas out there. Don’t confuse yourself with too many ideas though. Create a vision board that focuses on a specific style and build on that. Pinterest is great for this.
- Consider your options. When you’re planning a wedding, it’s always best to consider all your options before you commit to a particular vendor. Don’t go with the first florist or caterer that you find. Meet with several photographers, venues, caterers and florists before you pay your retainer fee or deposit. Be sure to read every contract before signing it too!
- Ask for help. Don’t forget to include your fiancé in the planning process as much as you can. Not only will the extra help alleviate some of your stress but this is his big day too and he should also be a part of the process from start to finish.
There is a ton of great advice available online that will make the wedding planning process an amazing experience. It’s also really helpful to speak to other married couples who always have great advice to share.